|Sheets, Rods, Tubes, Plates|
|Please contact for details|
|Tufnol Glass Laminates|
Tufnol Phenolic Paper
Tufnol Phenolic paper grades are strong, rigid and very economical. They have good electrical insulating properties and they are used in a wide range of electrical installations, and in equipment where a rigid electrical insulating material is required. The higher specification grades are chosen for higher voltage and for greater electrical stability in conditions of varying humidity.
The impact strength of Tufnol phenolic paper grades is not as high as materials in other groups and they are not usually chosen for applications where toughness, bearing properties or high stress carrying capabilities are required. However, the lowest cost grades in this group represent excellent value as rigid non-metallic materials and they are used in a very wide range of less demanding applications.
Tufnol Paper Characteristics
Good quality general purpose electrical insulation grade
- First class electrical insulating material with good dielectric strength
- High insulation resistance
- Low moisture absorption and good mechanical strength
- Kite Brand sheet meets British Standard BS EN ISO 60893 Type PF CP 206
- It is readily machined and can be hot punched up to a thickness of 3.2mm
Kite Brand is the most widely used of all phenolic paper grades, wherever a good quality general purpose electrical insulation material is required. It is used for a multitude of different applications at low, medium and high voltages, including such items as terminal boards, mounting panels, tag strips, coil farmers, insulating sleeves and bushes, busbar supports, tool and instrument handles, coil supports, insulated enclosures, brush holders, insulating spacers and special purpose plugs and sockets.
Tufnol Grade 1P/13
Low cost commercial grade
- Low cost commercial paper based laminate where electrical requirements are moderate
- This grade has a higher mechanical strength than the other grades in our phenolic paper range and greater impact strength
- It can be machined readily and components can be hot punched in thickness up to 3.2mm
This material is used for many electrical components where low voltage insulation is required. In addition, the low cost and all round properties of Tufnol Grade 1P/13, make it a popular choice for many less-demanding mechanical duties. Consequently, it is used for a multitude of different engineering parts, such as spacers, base plates, side plates and simple jigs and fixtures, in addition to the usual range of electrical insulation components.
Made to Order Tufnol Brands:
High specification phenolic paper laminate
- Characteristics equivalent to Kite Brand, but with improved performance in high humidity meeting BS EN 6089 Type PF CP 204
- First class electrical insulating material with very low moisture absorption
- Especially suitable for use in humid or tropical environments, where its electrical properties are retained to a high degree
- Excellent electric strength
- Very high insulation resistance after immersion in water and is
- Designed to meet the highest electrical standard for phenolic paper materials in BS and IEC specifications
- It machines well and can be hot punched up to a thickness of 3.2mm
Heron Brand is used in electrical applications where high insulation performance is required, with stable properties in a moist or humid environment. Items such as terminal boards, mounting plates, cover plates and insulating spacers have frequently been made. This grade has been largely superseded by the use of epoxy and other materials in such applications and is retained in our range for instances where it is needed for particular specification requirements.
Tufnol Grade 2P/20
- A good quality electrical insulation material for punched parts
- Specially formulated punching grade with properties similar to those of Kite Brand Tufnol
- It meets BS EN 60893-3-4 Type PF CP 206 and has excellent electrical insulation properties
- It may be heated up to a maximum temperature of 80oC for punching where required to produce an intricate profile. Lower temperatures will give satisfactory results for more simple shapes
Grade 2P/20 is used where punched parts are required from a good quality, rigid insulation material. A wide range of small electrical components are made from this material, including tag strips, mounting boards, component holders, switch operating arms, insulating washers, plug bases and back plates.
Tufnol Grade 1P/24
A flame retardant paper based grade, specially formulated to give low smoke output and low smoke toxicity. Electrical properties similar to Kite Brand.
- Electrical qualities similar to Kite Brand but with the additional features of improved fire properties
- Grade 1P/24 is manufactured with a specially formulated phenolic resin, which provides flame retardant properties combined with much reduced smoke output in a fire
- Good electrical insulating material meeting the requirements of BS 2572 Type P3 and it also meets Class FV0 flammability in the BS 6334 (IEC 707) test
- In addition, it achieves Class 1 performance in the BS 476 Part 7 'Surface spread of flame' test
Tufnol Grade 1P/24 is used in electrical applications where a high quality electrical insulating sheet is required with the additional protection of improved fire properties. Many conventional insulation applications would benefit from the use of flame retardant materials and the low smoke and good spread of flame performance offered by Grade 1P/24 is of particular importance in areas where escape from fire may be restricted. It can be used for items such as terminal boards, mounting plates, busbars and cable supports in railway applications, ships and ferries and a wide range of underground and restricted access areas.
Tufnol Grade 1P/21
A medium specification electrical grade meeting BS EN 60893 Type PF CP 203 requirements.
- This grade is intermediate in its electrical performance between the high electrical specification of Kite Brand TUFNOL and the low cost Grade 1P/13
- An intermediate commercial paper grade
- Produced to meet British Standard BS EN 60893-3-4 Type PF CP 203
- Water absorption and mechanical performance are also in the range between these two other grades
- It is readily machined into components and can be hot punched, to produce items in of thickness up to 3.2mm
This material is usually selected where electrical performance slightly above that of a basic commercial paper grade is required, with a minimum effect on cost. It is used for a wide range of electrical items, such as terminal boards, mounting panels and tag strips.
A good quality electrical insulating material, characteristics similar to Kite Brand. Available in solid moulded sections to complement the Kite Brand range of sheet and hollow moulded sections.
- Swan Brand is a good quality electrical insulating grade, similar in performance to Kite Brand
- Produced to complement the Kite Brand range of sheet
This grade is used wherever a rod, bar or other solid moulded section of paper based laminate is required. Items such as insulated end caps, turned spacers, mounting posts, electrode supports and insulated conveyor hanger posts often require a round rod section. Also, Swan Brand rectangular moulded bar may be preferred for certain components, such as mounting blocks, where tapped holes are drilled in several different directions.
Tufnol Paper Applications
Kite Band Tufnol
- Terminal boards
- Mounting panels
- Tag strips
- Coil farmers
- Insulating sleeves and bushes
- Busbar supports
- Tool and instrument handles
- Coil supports
- Insulated enclosures
- Brush holders
- Insulating spacers
- Special purpose plugs and sockets
Tufnol Grade 1P/13
- Base plates
- Side plates
- Simple jigs and fixtures
- Electrical insulation components
Tufnol Paper Availability
|Rod thickness||Sheet thickness||Tubes O.D.|
|Kite Brand Tufnol||N/A||0.8mm - 25mm||10mm - 228mm|
|Tufnol Grade 1P/13||N/A||0.8mm - 25mm||N/A|
|Heron Brand*||N/A||1.6mm - 25mm||N/A|
|Tufnol Grade 2P/20*||N/A||0.8mm - 3.2mm||N/A|
|Tufnol Grade 1P/24*||N/A||0.8mm - 25mm||N/A|
|Tufnol Grade 1P/21*||N/A||0.8mm - 25mm||N/A|
|Swan Brand*||6mm - 38mm||N/A||N/A|
Phone 0191 258 0777 to buy
Phone 0191 258 0777 to buy
* Not available online
We carry an extensive range of stock to accommodate the diverse market for semi-finished plastic materials, offering custom sizes on all general plastics. Our professional cutting service will ensure quality finishes and rapid turnaround at all times.
With over 20 years of expertise in the fabrication sector, our commitment to service & quality, along with unrivalled product knowledge enables us to guide you in all aspects of plastic material selection, from component design through to production.
Our plastic design team are capable of creating a range of specialist bespoke products, from initial prototypes and one offs to full production runs. The capabilities and capacity available allows us to offer an extensive specialist service.