Thin Plastic Sheet & Coiled Strip
The established extruded plate and sheet product ranges are ideal for larger and thicker components. However, once components become small and thin, such as seal rings or washers for example, then another solution in the form of slit, plastic film is the most viable option to consider.
In thin strip form, materials such as nylon sheet, acetal sheet and PTFE sheet can be cost effectively converted into low, medium or high volume stamped or cropped parts such as wear strips, washers, seal rings, gaskets, interleaf shims and sleeve bearings. For added versatility, these materials can be drilled or bonded using suitable adhesives.
The thin plastic film production operation is equipped with a sophisticated extruder combined with microprocessor controlled process monitoring equipment and off-line slitting facilities, capable of precision cutting master reels into standard or custom widths. The focus is on producing reliable, high quality, close tolerance thin coiled strip, ideally suited for high productivity auto stamping equipment.
The versatility of plastic film means that many combinations of thickness, width and length are possible using standard strip materials; Nylon 66, Nylatron GS and Acetal Copolymer. Custom Slitting Service available to slit strip to your exact width requirements.
Plastic Film Applications
Thin plastic film products cover a wide range of industries and applications.
- The heavy duty 'Nu-T-link' industrial V-belt system developed by BTL of Leeds uses punched Nylatron GS washers as an integral part of the flexible link design. The belts are capable of operating across a wide range of harsh working condition.
- In this electrical application, a subcontractor manufactures special size fuse holders for an OEM using a fully automated high speed process. The narrow, close tolerance Nylon 66 strip is first indexed through a stamping tool before passing on the metal fuse holder insert stage
- PTFE 25% carbon-filled washers on a coiled reel were needed for an automated assembly operation. Using a specially designed and developed punching tool, three retention nibs ensure that each washer remains located within the original strip until required
- TBS (South Wales) Ltd of Merthyr Tydfil market a range of office hanging files which use Nylon 66 edge guides at each end of the hanger. The Nylon 66 edge guides are stamped by TBS from custom slit 14mm wide coiled strip
- Nylatron GS electric motor thrust washer - good wear, low coefficient of friction, lower cost than bronze, low noise, lower operating temperature
- Nylon 66 valve seal for high pressure system - good strength, sealing properties, temperature and chemical resistance
- Nylon 66 electrical insulator on rotary switch - good dielectric strength and wear properties
Nylon 66 Sheet
A good general purpose engineering plastic with an established reputation for having a combination of versatile physical properties; high strength, resilience, good abrasion resistance, plus thermal, chemical and electrical properties sufficient for many applications where a metal would be totally unsuitable.
Nylatron GS Sheet
A specially formulated Nylon 66, modified by the addition of the solid lubricant molybdenum disulphide (MoS ). Nylatron GS has enhanced mechanical and wear properties compared with unfilled Nylon 66. It exhibits lower friction and superior wear performance, making it ideal for use as a bearing surface. It also has lower thermal expansion, less moisture absorption, plus greater strength and rigidity.
Acetal Copolymer Sheet
Acetal Copolymer, a proven engineering plastic exhibits low moisture absorption, excellent dimensional stability and high impact resistance. These properties, combined with its excellent strength and stiffness, make it an ideal choice for components having to operate in wet environments.
We carry an extensive range of stock to accommodate the diverse market for semi-finished plastic materials, offering custom sizes on all general plastics. Our professional cutting service will ensure quality finishes and rapid turnaround at all times.
With over 20 years of expertise in the fabrication sector, our commitment to service & quality, along with unrivalled product knowledge enables us to guide you in all aspects of plastic material selection, from component design through to production.
Our plastic design team are capable of creating a range of specialist bespoke products, from initial prototypes and one offs to full production runs. The capabilities and capacity available allows us to offer an extensive specialist service.