Coiled Thin Plastic Strip & Sheet
The established extruded plate and sheet product ranges are ideal for larger and thicker components. However, once components become small and thin, such as seal rings or washers for example, then another solution in the form of slit, coiled strip is the most viable option to consider.
In coiled strip form, materials such as nylon, acetal and PTFE can be cost effectively converted into low, medium or high volume stamped or cropped parts such as wear strips, washers, seal rings, gaskets, interleaf shims and sleeve bearings. For added versatility, these materials can be drilled or bonded using suitable adhesives.
The coiled strip production operation is equipped with a sophisticated extruder combined with microprocessor controlled process monitoring equipment and off-line slitting facilities, capable of precision cutting master reels into standard or custom widths. The focus is on producing reliable, high quality, close tolerance thin coiled strip, ideally suited for high productivity auto stamping equipment.
The versatility of Coiled Strip means that many combinations of thickness, width and length are possible using standard strip materials; Nylon 66, Nylatron GS and Acetal Copolymer. Custom Slitting Service available to slit strip to your exact width requirements.
Coiled Strip Applications
Strip products cover a wide range of industries and applications.
- The heavy duty 'Nu-T-link' industrial V-belt system developed by BTL of Leeds uses punched Nylatron GS washers as an integral part of the flexible link design. The belts are capable of operating across a wide range of harsh working condition
- In this electrical application, a subcontractor manufactures special size fuse holders for an OEM using a fully automated high speed process. The narrow, close tolerance Nylon 66 strip is first indexed through a stamping tool before passing on the metal fuse holder insert stage
- PTFE 25% carbon-filled washers on a coiled reel were needed for an automated assembly operation. Using a specially designed and developed punching tool, three retention nibs ensure that each washer remains located within the original strip until required
- TBS (South Wales) Ltd of Merthyr Tydfil market a range of office hanging files which use Nylon 66 edge guides at each end of the hanger. The Nylon 66 edge guides are stamped by TBS from custom slit 14mm wide coiled strip
- Nylatron GS electric motor thrust washer - good wear, low coefficient of friction, lower cost than bronze, low noise, lower operating temperature
- Nylon 66 valve seal for high pressure system - good strength, sealing properties, temperature and chemical resistance
- Nylon 66 electrical insulator on rotary switch - good dielectric strength and wear properties
Nylon 66 Coiled Strip
A good general purpose engineering plastic with an established reputation for having a combination of versatile physical properties; high strength, resilience, good abrasion resistance, plus thermal, chemical and electrical properties sufficient for many applications where a metal would be totally unsuitable.
Nylatron GS Coiled Strip
A specially formulated Nylon 66, modified by the addition of the solid lubricant molybdenum disulphide (MoS²). Nylatron GS has enhanced mechanical and wear properties compared with unfilled Nylon 66. It exhibits lower friction and superior wear performance, making it ideal for use as a bearing surface. It also has lower thermal expansion, less moisture absorption, plus greater strength and rigidity.
Acetal Copolymer Coiled Strip
Acetal Copolymer, a proven engineering plastic exhibits low moisture absorption, excellent dimensional stability and high impact resistance. These properties, combined with its excellent strength and stiffness, make it an ideal choice for components having to operate in wet environments.